Old 23-04-2010, 03:43 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
Taking a deep breath, we're going to try a Hedychium outside this year.
It's the one called Tara and it will be in a pot 'sort of' in the lee
of the house and Tea Room walls but not tucked right into them. It
seems worth a try to see how it gets on and at least we do have others
if it does keel over. Watch this space! Apart from David P who has to
slash his way through his personal jungle, has anyone else tried this
outside over-winter and if so, in which location?
Up in the Chilterns, I have had Hedychium Tara in the ground, in a not especially favoured spot, for about 7 years and it has come back every year so far. I have lost more this winter than the previous one: the cold was more prolonged this winter, though minimum temperatures were not as low (by about 2.5C) as the previous one. Since Tara doesn't shoot until well into May, at least where I live, I can't say for sure whether it has survived, but since it is underground all winter I can't imagine this winter was any worse for it than the last one for it - it's been evergreen plants that have suffered from the snow cover and prolonged cold. I lost a leptospermum scoparium that survived the previous year. My Metrosideros umbellata and Sophora tetraptera have taken quite a trashing but I think they are still with us; a red cordyline is defoliated; protea cynaroides and a puya alpestris that were heavily damaged last winter now both dead.