Old 23-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Stephen Matta Stephen Matta is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Keely View Post
I'm in southern Ontario, Canada; hoping someone is familiar with this
plant (weed?) that has a "throwing" mechanism:

About 6 inches tall, is growing in patches in dry sunny areas, has pale
green, sparse needle-like leaves less than 1" long on upright stalks...
I noticed for the first time today its interesting ability to hurl many
small projectiles when the plant is lightly touched or walked on. It
throws them a couple feet up and out. They must be seeds of some kind,
but on examination appear as tiny green coils or springs, 2-3 mm in
size... does this ring a bell with anyone?

Thanks,
Rebecca
--
I have the same weed - I live in suburban Atlanta, Georgia, USA. At first I thought the weed was a voluntary return of an herb growing near our mailbox (thyme maybe). The plant is short - one stalk with some small shoots and the needles in clusters that make it look almost like a seedling evergreen popping up.

As I said, I thought it was the return of an herb, but the color was an unusual sick sort of pale green. I reached down to pick some needles to sniff - a sure identification whether it is the herb or not - and when I touch the plant the needles exploded all over! It startled me - thought it was a snake striking at my hand! I recoiled and studied the situation and realized that my touch had triggered the plant to "throw" the needles.

I'm not much of a gardener, but this plant has so intrigued me that I decided to search it out. No one in my sphere of friends seems to know, but a couple of people have seen it in their yards as well. One gardening friend said it is a worthless nuisance weed and that was all she had to add to the knowledge base.
I'm determined to learn more about this crazy weed!

So far, the suggestions here on this topic are not close. This has no "leaves" - only needles. They look like the tips of pine needles or something similar - short (about .5 to 1" or 1.25 cm). The green is not a bright green...almost a brownish green. When one touches it, the needles jump from the plant in a burst - like a handful of rice at a wedding!

I have never seen it in my yard before this year, but the way these needles spread I suspect I'm in for a fight. I wish it were possible to post pictures (or in this case video) on this forum!

-Steve in Marietta