Old 23-04-2010, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donnie Donnie is offline

Default Ants in Compost bin

Pam Moore wrote:

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:09:21 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

I'm not sure if this is a bad thing or a good thing. My immediate
instincts leaned towards declaring war on them but then I wondered
if they might be of some use in the composting process.

Your thoughts on the matter please.

Mark

It's too dry. Water it, or leave top off if it rains and they'll go
elsewhere.

Just joined the group as found this thread via google groups.

Just wondered what if you want to kill the nests, i have 2 ant nests in
both my compost bins and have also found one under the patio.

I would rather kill them off personally, but im worried about using a
chemical which my harm our new chickens?

Anyone got a solution to this?

--
Donnie
Honda CB500R "Look out, Donnie's about!"