Old 23-04-2010, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel rbel is offline

Default Lace bugs and sycamore trees in the UK

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:36:56 +0200, Emery Davis
wrote:

On 04/22/2010 06:57 PM, Bexx wrote:
Hi, i have studied sycamore trees and their insects/pests, but i am not
sure whether or not lace bugs exist in the UK. i know their are in
America. Can any one help me out?
thanks!

In America the sycamore refers to Platanus occidentalis, but in Europe
the sycamore is a maple, Acer pseudoplatanus. I don't know of anything
in the UK or Europe called a lace bug that attacks our sycamore. Aphids
can be a problem, the flowers are sometimes infested with rape seed
beetles.

The sycamore lace bug or Platanus lace bug (Corythucha ciliata) is not
native to the UK but a CSL report indicates that it has spread to central
and southern Europe and in late 2006 infestations were discovered in
Bedfordshire on London plane (Platanus x acerifolia) and oriental plane
(P. orientalis) trees imported from France and Italy.

--
rbel