Old 24-04-2010, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Strawberry questions

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Steve B wrote:
We bought some killer one gallon strawberry plants the other day.
They all have strawberries on them, some ripe.
You missed talking about sun, probably because the OP has plenty
of sun (and didn't ask), I don't.

I have a single strawberry planted in the fall last year that has
set out several pups. I have little open area and it's a trade off
for me what to plant where. The strawberries are growing into the
shaded area, perhaps 4 or 5 hours of full sun. Are strawberries
more tolerant of shade than say cucurbits or tomatoes? My current
thinking, whether it is right I don't know, is to plant the greens
(kale and swiss chard) in the less sunny garden edges, the
strawberries are there also. Jeff

I'd guess strawberries need lots of sun and not too much water for
big sweet luscious berries. Around here full sun is the order of
the day. I can't grow them but there are some pick your own places
about. Favorite was Pulios in Clayton now gone.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...tolerant+veget
ables&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Googling that gave me this list culled from this group!

http://www.rickharrison.com/texts/in..._tolerant.html

I was surprised to find these listed:

* blackberry
* currants
* gooseberry
* strawberries
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The list is "shade tolerant" that doesn't mean they will do well.. As it
says few edibles (to my thinking this means especially fruits) grow well in
full shade. So depending on how much sun the spot actually gets you might
harvest some berries. If some is better than none and you really have no
choice then go for it. If you want to get the best return on the area used
and your efforts cultivating them put them in full sun.

David

David, Jeff has already said that he doesn't have much sun, encourage
him to grow his strawberries, even without full sun, he can expect some
strawberries. Jeff would love to have more sun, but he is doing the best
he can with what he's got, like the rest of us, and just like 3,000
small farmers in Louisiana did when they formed a combination local
union and cooperative to market the early crop of strawberries back in
1952. These little farmers, many of them Italian-Americans, had an
average of three acres of strawberries in cultivation. For two years the
cooperative unions' orderly marketing of strawberries brought better
prices to the growers, with no increase cost to the consumer
In the political campaign the strawberry farmers mobilized and voted for
Adlai Stevenson. As soon as the Eisenhower administration started,
trouble began for the Louisiana strawberry farmers, even thought they
had no guns (not rifles or shot guns), warships, or rockets. The new
administration's first successful prosecution under the Sherman
Anti-Trust law was directed against the 3,000 little strawberry farmers.
Shirley, you don't want to be like the Supreme Allied Commander in
Europe, who was officially designated as the Supreme Allied Commander of
the Allied Expeditionary Force (SHAEF), serving in a dual role until the
end of hostilities in Europe in May 1945. In these positions he was
charged with planning and carrying out the Allied assault on the coast
of Normandy in June 1944 under the code name Operation Overlord, the
liberation of western Europe and the invasion of Germany, and the
crushing of small strawberry farmers, who may or may not had sufficient
sunshine.
--
- Billy