Old 24-04-2010, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹° ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹° is offline

Default Pond: doomed? (blanket weed)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 22:45:08 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

someone" wrote ((big snip))

I found some celery-like plant in the stream on our local golf
course and brought a bit back, and it has cleared all the water, this
plant eats everything and keeps the water clear. If you want some, post
here with your munged email and I will send you some. It becomes a bit
rampant but does no harm, you can just yank it out.

Water Cress does the same thing and is excellent on the compost heap if it
becomes too rampant. Just buy some at the supermarket and throw it in, it
will soon grow roots and can be planted as a marginal. Just one thing, don't
use it from your pond for eating as you may end up with liver flukes.

I think that very unlikely unless you allow sheep to crap in your pond
(or unless you fill your pond with water from a rivulet downstream
from crapping sheep)

--