Old 24-04-2010, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tony Tony is offline

Default Feeding of Roses ?

James wrote:
Thanks Tony !!

Do you think the MG is equally good , compared to a pellitized fertilizer ?

As you suggest, I will apply MG and fish emulsion as alternate feedings.

James

In my opinion (and you will get others, believe me), the question should
be "Which pelletized fertilizer, and for what plant?" You say you are a
rose grower (I've never grown roses). I prefer to garden as organically
as possible, but I am not 100% organic. I'm guessing there is a good
pelletized completely natural rose fertilizer, or perhaps several of
them, out there, if you want to go that route. Talk to a nurseryman
(not the 17-year-old kid working in Home Depot's garden center). Decide
for yourself what you want to use.

IME, Miracle Grow is most useful diluted to 1/2 strength as a transplant
solution (it's great for that), and for things that benefit from an
occasional foliar feeding. A solid fertilizer properly mixed into the
soil may feed more uniformly over a longer period of time.

And before you follow ANY of the above advice, go to Google, type in
"growing roses", and you'll turn enough articles to keep you busy for
several evenings. As you go from source to source, you'll begin to see
patterns emerge: Basic points all the authors seem to agree on (note
those well!) and other, seemingly more contradictory advice (get back to
that later).

Tony