Old 24-04-2010, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Feeding of Roses ?

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:50:11 -0400, "James"
wrote:

I am a very new rose grower (I hope). I have read that Miracle Gro
plant food (the kind you mix in water), and fish emulsion are good basics.

Can I mix the two in one gallon of water , for one application ?

Are there better feeding products ? Is the water soluable Miracle Gro
better than a pelletized fertilizer (which I know would last longer, but
not as fast acting, right ?)

Thanks for any **basic** fertilizing tips !!

James

Roses prefer regular organic feedings and lots of it. Alternate
feedings between fish emulsion and rotted cow manure every 3 weeks
during the growing season. For each large established plant, I use 2
T. fish emulsion or 2 cups rotted cow manure. Back off the
fertilizers 2 months before the first frost. Use fast-acting
inorganic fertilizers sparingly, strategically or not at all.

I dont like to mix fertilizers--you might end up with undesirable
results. Good luck with your roses, they can be a challenge.