Old 24-04-2010, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawn Is Patchy, What Would You Do?

On Apr 23, 11:58*am, Saki wrote:[color=blue][i]
Bob F;884597 Wrote:

Saki wrote:

I would overseed and rake it in lightly, then water it a tiny bit 2-3
time a day
until it sprouts. Just barely dampen it, All you want to do is keep the
seed
from EVER drying out. A sprinkler on a timer to run for 5 minutes at,
say, 10AM,
1PM, and 4PM should do it. When you start mowing, mow it at the highest
setting
your mower has, and water and fertilize as needed. Over time, the gras
spreads
by sending roots underground and sending up new shoots, so it will fill
in over
time if you keep it growing.

Thanks, I'll try this, was warned about over seeding and yet those
parts turned out beautifully. I'm on holiday for a month so I can take
the time to do this now.

Trader4 I confused about the Canadian grass comment, where did I say
that? I used a mixture containing rye grass seeds that would be hard
wearing and suitable for shade. I'm in the UK, I searched specifically
for a UK forum and thought this was one.

--
Saki

Sorry, someone else made the comment. Regarding grass spreading, rye
grass will not spread via rhizomes to fill in bare spots. It is a
clump type grass, which can only grow so large and can't then expand
into empty area. That is one reason bluegrass, which does spread,
is included in many blends. There are some bluegrass varieties that
are somewhat shade tolerant. But the best grasses for dense shade are
the creeping fescues.