Old 25-04-2010, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mysterious Traveler Mysterious Traveler is offline

Default Rabbits Eating My Asparagus

EVP MAN wrote:
YES, rabbits will indeed eat asparagus! I just put a new asparagus bed
in this spring. I planted one year crowns only to discover that rabbits
are nipping off the young asparagus shoots as fast as they emerge. This
is NOT good as the first year, asparagus shouldn't be harvested at all.
The shoots should be left to go to fern in order to place strength back
into the crown for the following years harvest. This isn't possible
when the rabbits are nipping the tops off of the emerging shoots. The
shoots started to emerge about ten days ago and every morning I have
found just the tops nipped off of the shoots. Today I found more shoots
nipped off and decided this is enough of this crap! I went to the
hardware store and bought fencing to place around the bed. Came home
and installed it right away. Within two hours, project completed!
From this day on, the darn wabbits can have all the asparagus that
grows outside the fence but all that grows inside is mine!!! LOL

Rich

Are you by any chance having a drought where you are? I've found
that when conditions get dry the rabbits get terrible. You might
try getting an area of your yard extra wet so vegetation will be
green for rabbits to eat, and rabbits do drink water.

One summer, years ago, during a drought, rabbits stripped
leaves and bark from every little tree I planted that year,
and the grasshoppers got the grape vines and privet hedge.

As far as I can tell rabbits have never eaten my Asparagus.

Good Luck
Mysterious Traveler