Old 25-04-2010, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Fred Williams[_2_] Fred Williams[_2_] is offline

Default Rabbits Eating My Asparagus

EVP MAN wrote:
YES, rabbits will indeed eat asparagus! I just put a new asparagus
bed in this spring. I planted one year crowns only to discover that
rabbits are nipping off the young asparagus shoots as fast as they
emerge. This is NOT good as the first year, asparagus shouldn't be
harvested at all. The shoots should be left to go to fern in order to
place strength back into the crown for the following years harvest.
This isn't possible when the rabbits are nipping the tops off of the
emerging shoots. The shoots started to emerge about ten days ago and
every morning I have found just the tops nipped off of the shoots.
Today I found more shoots nipped off and decided this is enough of
this crap! I went to the hardware store and bought fencing to place
around the bed. Came home and installed it right away. Within two
hours, project completed! From this day on, the darn wabbits can
have all the asparagus that grows outside the fence but all that
grows inside is mine!!! LOL

Rich

No deer eating our tulips this year, no doubt to the exceptionally
warm winter we just experienced.