Old 25-04-2010, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Strawberry questions

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:53:46 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

We bought some killer one gallon strawberry plants the other day. They all
have strawberries on them, some ripe.

I want to grow a bunch of them. I have four 8' railroad ties. OLD railroad
ties that are bleached white, so most of the chemicals should be gone.

Would an 8' bed raised that high (about 8") be a good bed? We got 10 yards
of good compost from a nursery, and it is very high quality.

Should I mix anything else with the compost? The local dirt is sand dune
blowsand. Should I mix any gravel in for drainage?

I want to put the black half inch pipe in there for irrigation. A friend
who has a lot of strawberries says that they like a lot of water here. It
gets blazing hot in the summer, and pretty cold in the winter. How wet
should I keep them?

I like using different meals, blood, bone, etc, instead of chemical
fertilizers. What would be a good amendment?

Lastly, propagation. Do you just plant them and let them grow? How far
would I separate the plants?

Thanks in advance. Hope this year's garden is better than last year's.

The best bet is to check with your county extension agent. They
should have the best information for your immediate area. Unless
someone who posts here lives very near you and has grown what you are
asking about, the answers you get here are mostly guesses.

Here is a link to finding the one closest to you.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills