Old 25-04-2010, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Peach/Nectarine volunteer

"PtePike" wrote ...
I was weeding yesterday and came across a weed I had not seen before, so I
dug it up to find 2 halves of a peach or nectarine stone and the kernel of
this with a seedling growing from it.
I have put the seedling into a pot to grow out of curiosity.
This has certainly come sometime in the past from our compost bin.
If it can survive through our winters in the UK, can I expect it to bear
some fruit in the future do you think?
My dad says no because it may need grafting, and on a good rootstock.
My arguement is that before man took over how did they grow.
Your thoughts will be welcome, I find this very exciting.

When a child back in the middle ages our next door neighbour had a Peach
Tree that they had grown from a stone themselves. It fruited beautifully
every year, wonderfully large sweet fruit, until one year it overdid itself
and the weight of the fruit split the tree in half. Lesson is, when it's
mature prune the excess fruit if it goes mad.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden