Old 25-04-2010, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Peach/Nectarine volunteer

PtePike wrote:

I was weeding yesterday and came across a weed I had not seen before, so I
dug it up to find 2 halves of a peach or nectarine stone and the kernel of
this with a seedling growing from it.
I have put the seedling into a pot to grow out of curiosity.
This has certainly come sometime in the past from our compost bin.
If it can survive through our winters in the UK, can I expect it to bear
some fruit in the future do you think?

Yes. If it's a peach it could be as soon as its third summer. I planted
a peach stone and some apricots three years ago. The peach was in flower
this spring. Apricots flower a little later. (May)

I've never managed to get a nectarine stone to shoot.

My dad says no because it may need grafting, and on a good rootstock.

We had a peach tree grown from a stone when I was an anklebiter, and
that (usually) fruited prolifically, and the fruits were as large as
shop-bought ones.

My arguement is that before man took over how did they grow.
Your thoughts will be welcome, I find this very exciting.

You can expect it to grow into a rather bushy tree of around ten feet or
so. They fruit more reliably though, if grown and trained against a
south-facing wall.

But don't do what my ole man did - put it next to the soakaway for the
washing machine.

--
Rusty