Old 25-04-2010, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Peach/Nectarine volunteer

wrote:
In article ,
PtePike wrote:
I was weeding yesterday and came across a weed I had not seen before, so I
dug it up to find 2 halves of a peach or nectarine stone and the kernel of
this with a seedling growing from it.
I have put the seedling into a pot to grow out of curiosity.
This has certainly come sometime in the past from our compost bin.
If it can survive through our winters in the UK, can I expect it to bear
some fruit in the future do you think?
My dad says no because it may need grafting, and on a good rootstock.
My arguement is that before man took over how did they grow.
Your thoughts will be welcome, I find this very exciting.

It may or it may not. Seedlings are very variable. I am growing
a peche de vigne (essentially, the peach equivalent of a bullace,
and probably close to the ones introduced into Europe by Neolithic
farmers). It has flowered well this year, but we shall see ....

May I book a stone or two please? (Assuming they do fruit, of course.)

--
Rusty