Old 25-04-2010, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Peach/Nectarine volunteer

PtePike wrote:

Nick I am going to have to be patient if yours is three years.

I have a lemon tree grown from a pip (well, sevral, actually). I don't
expect it to flower for another twenty-five to thirty years.

Unless I do a spot of grafting...

If this tree is going to be attractive then I will keep it for a time of
flowering and see what happens.

Yes - a mass of pink blossom in April - unfortunately, it doesn't last
long, but the tree itself is a looker.

3 years is a long patience but I think I will be around to see.

When you get to my age you blink - and three years has flashed by. When
you plant it out, give it lots of bones in the bottom of the hole and
mix bonemeal, well-rotted manure or compost, and woollens in the soil.
Your barber might give you sweepings to use too.

All these release nutrients slowly, and should nourish your tree for years.

After three yearsyou can start adding potash to the soil - thin twigs,
especially green ones produce the most potash when burnt, oh, and
Jerusalem artichoke or sunflower stems.

Peaches (well, all stone fruit) need a little lime or old plaster.

Dad says I am wasting my time God willing he will see it too.

Give him half a pint of beer in a pint glass. I bet he says it's half empty.

--
Rusty