Old 25-04-2010, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Best berries for mass wall planting

Please_reply_to_group wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:34:00 -0400, Jeff Thies
wrote:

Steve B wrote:
I have about 16' of metal grating that I want to grow vines on, and thought
berries, or a combination of jasmine and berries would be nice. The space
faces directly north, and only gets sun until about 10 AM. The rest of the
day, only reflected sunlight.

What would be a good vining berry to plant on these? Is it advisable to mix
the plants like that?

Google yields this:

http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/...t-urban-space/

That would *seem* to point to huckleberries and currants as your best
possibilities. Check too see if they will tolerate the heat you have there.

My own thoughts are to give up on the fruiting vine and just grow
ivy. Many ivys suffer in the sun and would seem well suited to your
limited light.

No personal experience here, beyond having a lot of english ivy! I'm
only posting because I don't believe anyone has an answer, so you are
getting questionable advice instead (just so you know)!

Jeff

I don't have any suggestions for fruiting vines, but I would caution
against growing English ivy. Here in the Pacific northwest it's
considered an invasive species:

No doubt why I have a lot of it!

Jeff

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/new...toryType=garde