Old 26-04-2010, 01:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve B[_6_] Steve B[_6_] is offline

Default Best berries for mass wall planting

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I have about 16' of metal grating that I want to grow vines on, and
thought berries, or a combination of jasmine and berries would be nice.
The space faces directly north, and only gets sun until about 10 AM. The
rest of the day, only reflected sunlight.

What would be a good vining berry to plant on these? Is it advisable to
mix the plants like that?

Google yields this:

http://www.chelseagreen.com/content/...t-urban-space/

That would *seem* to point to huckleberries and currants as your best
possibilities. Check too see if they will tolerate the heat you have
there.

My own thoughts are to give up on the fruiting vine and just grow ivy.
Many ivys suffer in the sun and would seem well suited to your limited
light.

No personal experience here, beyond having a lot of english ivy! I'm
only posting because I don't believe anyone has an answer, so you are
getting questionable advice instead (just so you know)!

Jeff

Steve
XXtreme SW Utah
3700' elev
zone 7-8

Visit my blog at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

I like to ask here first to get a different slant on it. We have several
nurseries here, but only one small town that is out to give you the right
stuff, and not a lot of stuff you don't need or that is going to die. They
have been there about 300 years, or a long time. I will ask them, but I
like to ask here to get a little wider look.

Steve