Old 26-04-2010, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Asparagus!

In message , David Rance
writes
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, ~Brian~ wrote:

My wife who absolutely loves asparagus, has asked me could we grow some
ourselves (expensive to purchase from shops). I've had a look around and see
that the crowns are quite reasonably priced (Dobbies £1.99 per Crown) so
that's not a problem.
My query is this - how many crowns would be suitable (only the two of us),
and are there any obvious pitfalls that can be avoided by a newcomer to
growing this veg?

Not an answer but I would also like to know as I have been meaning to
plant some crowns for some years now and never got round to it.

Incidentally I've just returned from Vienna (and, yes, I got delayed
for a week along with everyone else!) and usually at this time of year
the "Spargel" season is well under way with just about every restaurant
offering all kinds of Spargel dishes. This year - nothing. It seems to
be very late. Instead they are offering, as a seasonal, "Baerlauch". I
would give you the English if I knew what it was but it's a kind of
wild garlic.

David

Bauerlauch _is_ wild garlic (wood garlic, ramsons, buckram etc.)
--
Gopher .... I know my place!