Old 26-04-2010, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
AndyS AndyS is offline

Default Which Gardening Moves Burn Most Calories?

On Apr 21, 6:51 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Billy wrote:
http://motherjones.com/blue-marble/2...ardening-exerc...
calories

Econundrum: Which Gardening Moves Burn Most Calories?
Full list of 18 gardening activities and calories burned:

Watering lawn: 61
Mowing lawn (ride-on): 101
Trimming shrubs (power): 142
Raking: 162
Bagging leaves: 162
Planting seedlings: 182
Mowing (push with motor): 182
Planting trees: 182
Snow thrower (walking): 182
Trimming shrubs (manual): 182
Weeding: 182
Clearing land: 202
Digging, spading, tilling: 202
Laying sod: 202
Chopping wood: 202
Gardening with heavy power tools: 243
Mowing lawn (push manual): 243
Double digging [7]: 344
For more on gardening for exercise, visit Restuccio's site [4]:

This doesn't look right to me. How can raking be less than planting
seedlings?

But the idea that doing physical work is a positive aspect of growing things
is good.

David

I guess it depends on your technique and how organized you are. If you
use a dibble, no way, but if you use a trowel, down you go, digging a
little hole for the plant, then up you come again. With raking, it is
just pull-follow through-step, pull-follow through-step, pull-follow
through-step.
--
- Billy
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3l...Zinn_page.html

Andy comments:

For me the most calories are burned when I have to skin and
clean the rabbits that try to sabotage my garden. Fortunately,
I can restore the calories with the delicious stews that can be
made from the critters and the produce they were trying to
steal...

Andy in Eureka, Texas