Old 27-04-2010, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Solar garden lights

hound wrote:
apologies if this is off topic. Has anyone any experience of solar
garden lights? How long do they last?

Typically 3-4 years before the rechargable batteries need replacing.

They seem to cost from £1 (from the pound shop) upwards.......

Any recommendations???

Maplin have/had some half decent ones on almost stainless poles (rusts a
bit after 3-4 yrs) look a bit like mushrooms. Work reasonably well need
bringing in during winter as the batteries don't like cold weather.

They are still available in their reduced section presumably old stock.
Newer ones tend to have brighter diodes. One minor irritation with them
is that they are adjusted for more southerly latitudes and come on far
too early during dusk in the UK summers. I tweak mine.

Worst one I ever got was a thin stick one from Wilko. Lasted less than a
year then filled its battery compartment with water never worked again.
Useless. It was cheap though.

Regards,
Martin Brown