Old 27-04-2010, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Charles Manoras[_3_] Charles Manoras[_3_] is offline

Default seeding

"Mysterious Traveler" wrote in message
downhill wrote:
Heard rumors that when you have multiple types of bamboo on a property
they at some point will get stressed out and start seeding.

Well I have 6 to 10 plants in seed, boy o boy guess it not a rumor......

I have never heard that about more than one type together causing
stress and making them go to seed, but I have only been growing
bamboo since last July.

From what I heard bamboo all over the world can go to seed and
die around the same time every forty eight to fifty years and
I hope it's not time for it to do that again. My one bamboo
is doing great right now and I would hate for it to seed and die.
Every day I can see it has grown a lot from the previous day and
it makes me happy to think in a few years it could cover a large
area.

I have always been interested in bamboo but only got serious
about it last summer.

There was a PBS show about Bamboo, somewhere in India (I think)
that was interesting about how it died every forty eight to fifty
years and how rat populations spiked from eating bamboo seeds.
It showed how the roots grow and hold soil together. It was
interesting, maybe you've seen it or can find it somewhere.

Good Luck
Mysterious Traveler

There are gardens, botanical or otherwise .which include many different
kinds of bamboo and I have never heard of them seeding all at once.