Old 27-04-2010, 10:30 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Pest on trees

"atec7 7" ""atec77\"@ hotmail.com" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

Does anyone have any idea what these things might be please?

Answering my own question here for those who might be interested. I did
a google and was stunned at how many varieties of scales there are and
how hard I had to hunt to find anything like it. I think the one we have
is an armoured scale and the one that looks most like it is called
ceroplastes janeirensis:
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...ed=0CAwQ9QEwAw

What happens when you pour soapy water on them ?

Nothing. White oil also doesn't work - wrong time in the pest's lifecycle I
suspect from what I've read online. I'm going to crush them manually
tomorrow - the bushes are still small enough for that but the infestation is
heavy and I really don't want these plants to cark it.