View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 27-04-2010, 05:39 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2009
Smile Butterfly (Areca) Palm

I have a butterfly palm, (I think also known as Areca Palm) which is about 4-5 years old, but have never really got any bigger/bushier than when I first bought it. It has been in my lounge which is light and bright but not overly sunny ,which I understood was good lighting conditions for them. During this winter the plant has started to look really "sad", I think the combination of central heating and log fire in the lounge. I moved it around x-mas time to the kitchen which is again light and bright but not so warm. It seemed to perk-up a little bit, and I even saw a few very small new shoots coming up. But these seem to have halted at about 3 inches high and the plant is looking a bit droopy again.
I've been giving minimal water over winter and now its warmed up watering a little more often so that soil stays damp. My sister-in-Law has one in her dining room, which is in a very similar sized pot, but is huge, she waters it in a very similar way to me, but says does nothing else, so dont know why hers is huge and mine is very weedy! Any ideas as to what conditions are ideal or any supplement/feed I can use. Anything that would start up growth etc
Thanks