Old 27-04-2010, 04:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] kelly_graham77373@yahoo.com is offline

Default Upside down tomatos

Here in Houston, Texas, we've had tomato blossoms for about 3 weeks,
now.. but no tomatoes.
Maybe it's too-early in the season? However, this is a big change for
the better compared to last year -
when the days were so hot the blossoms would drop about a two or two
after opening!

Kelly Paul Graham

On Apr 22, 10:57*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I was at Walgreens the other day, and saw those little plastic upside down
tomato bags. *$10 each .......... I don't think so.

I can make some out of five gallon buckets that would be sturdier, and I can
get buckets free.

Does anyone grow tomatoes like this? *It seems like it would be a good deal,
you would only have to make a substantial support, which I can do. *It seems
like the tomatoes would not have to be pinched back as much, and the chances
of splitting stems would be reduced.

We do get wind here, so should I put them next to a wind break?

Steve
XXtreme SW Utah
3700' elev
zone 7-8