Old 27-04-2010, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sgt Pepper Sgt Pepper is offline

Default Asparagus!

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Gopher wrote:

BTW, I had someone asking me about introducing parsnips in Germany and if
I knew the reason for their apparent absence. When I lived there I was
served Pastinaken in Bavaria but I'm sure there's another word which is a
more accurate translation.... but I forget it. Another senior moment:-))

I saw parsnips in a supermarket in Eisenstadt a couple of weeks ago.
Admittedly they were small but unfortunately I didn't make a note of what
they called them. Maybe my wife can remember - but I'm in France and she's
in Lancashire at the moment!

And they're hardly known here in France also!

When I was in Germany last year (Nord Rhein Wesfalen) they had some
Pasternaken in the shops (i.e parsnips) and here in France you can buy
panais in the local supermarket (improrted from GB though). They're pretty
unusual and most locals have never tasted them.

I planted 18 asparagus crowns last year in clay/limestone soil (I gather
they refer sandy soil). All but 3 have sprouted so far - but no picking
until next year. There are only 2 of us, so maybe we'll be in for bumper
crops in a year or 2.

Roy