Old 28-04-2010, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Plants that survive with little water

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:33:26 -0400, greenfingersnot
wrote:

As a non gardener I desperately need advice. My parents were buried
locally and I was always able to keep their wish to tend their graves
and keep plant tubs fresh and cared for. I have however now moved away
and am only able to visit every couple of months. I have autumn and
winter sussed - skimmias with and without berries in tubs have survived
since last October with no watering on my part. But I just don't know
what to do from now until October again! Can anyone suggest any plants
for tubs which MIGHT survive if I put granules in etc etc and we have
rain on occasion. The graves are also in full sun which doesn't help!
They both hated plastic and silk flowers so I can't go down that route.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Without knowing location I can't recommend any specific plant but why
does it need to be in a container... without regular tending it's
pretty much impossible for any above ground container grown plant to
survive more than a few weeks. Were the container in the ground (say
a section of chimney flue) to keep plants from spreading, then there
are many plants that would survive well long term with perhaps a
yearly thinning/weeding... but again, without knowing the location all
anyone can offer is wild speculation.