Old 28-04-2010, 03:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Plants that survive with little water

In article ,
greenfingersnot wrote:

As a non gardener I desperately need advice. My parents were buried
locally and I was always able to keep their wish to tend their graves
and keep plant tubs fresh and cared for. I have however now moved away
and am only able to visit every couple of months. I have autumn and
winter sussed - skimmias with and without berries in tubs have survived
since last October with no watering on my part. But I just don't know
what to do from now until October again! Can anyone suggest any plants
for tubs which MIGHT survive if I put granules in etc etc and we have
rain on occasion. The graves are also in full sun which doesn't help!
They both hated plastic and silk flowers so I can't go down that route.
Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Two things you may look into:
1) Water gel, a.k.a. hydrogel
http://www.ehow.com/how_4460993_plant-using-water-retaining-gel.html

and

2) xeriscaping, plants that need little water.
http://www.google.com/search?client=...aping&ie=UTF-8
&oe=UTF-8
--
- Billy