Old 29-04-2010, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Another Mystery Plant (Shrub) ID Please?

On 2010-04-29 09:19:03 +0100, "Parrotfish" said:

"Ian B" wrote ...
The last of the legacy mysteries in my garden, is this shrub, or
bush, whichever is the correct term. It was quite big, but the
Council chap who chainsawed the berberis behind it to shreds also
laid into this bush, so it's only just growing back. None of my
dubious artistic skills this time, I discovered that my sister has
the ability to take "photographs" using a small device called a
"telephone" which she carries around with her and which can also be
used to speak to persons beyond earshot. Remarkable! Whatever next, a
carriage without horses?!

Here it is-

http://img99.imageshack.us/i/iansshrub2.jpg/

And here's a closeup of the foliage-

http://img52.imageshack.us/i/iansshrub.jpg/

I'll be most grateful if anyone can identify it!

I think it might be a Leycesteria (Himalayan Honeysuckle)
Google is your friend )

Could be but hard to tell without any flowers. I'm guessing at Weigela
or Deutzia, something of that sort but I agree that it's hard to tell
until it flowers. Woody stems and green leaf shaped leaves, hmmmm! ;-)

I'm with Sacha on this one, but would include Philadelphus (Mock Orange)
as well. Flowers would help a lot, but this year's flowering growth may
well have been chainsawed out of existence :~(. If you do see one or
two flowers, ask your sister to 'telephone' them, then post again and
we'll all have another go.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London