Old 29-04-2010, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Leeks

"John T" wrote

Why are my leeks not much more than a blade of grass in stature?
Planted in pots on window sill - kept moist in general compost.
Sorry can't remember variety

Phil

Dont know where you are Phil, the soil quality, or when you sowed them,
but if they were sown recently the size is not surprising.

Mine from last year are almost finished, the ones i sowed in february are
in the greenhouse and still very small, they will be planted out in a
couple of weeks.
We had frosts here (top end of the Wirral) until last week (unusual for
round here) or the baby leeks would be out now. I also sow some
(Musselburgh) about now to overwinter.

They are slow growing, and heavy feeders, once they get established the
Geordies feed them on Newcastle Brown Ale (AKA Nuclear Brown Ale or
Broon), but you have to drink it first.

Good luck.

Thanks to all responders..

The location is East Yorkshire - 4 miles from the end of the Humber Bridge.
The leeks must have been in 6 weeks.
To improve their chances, I potted them on about 2 weeks ago in general
compost - to a deeper pot thinking they might need deeper for rooting.
How long should they take on a window sill to get to pencil thickness?
Or do they need planting out into open ground when in blade-of-grass mode?

Phil