Old 29-04-2010, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Rhubarb!

Malcolm wrote:
~Brian~ wrote:
Having now planted the crowns they are sprouting well. The advice
about not picking in the first season - do you just leave the stalks
on and let them die back naturally, or do they have to be removed at
some stage.

Thanks Brian

At the risk of Hi-Jacking the thread, I have the established result of
two Champagne crowns planted 4 - 5 years ago. last year, and
particularly this they are flowering vigorously. What am I not doing?
Previously with other attempts in other locations I have had very few
flower spikes. Perhaps I did'nt prepare this bed correctly.

They probably need feeding.

Lack of nutrients will often stimulate the plant to produce seed 'cos it
thinks it might be dying...

Give it a multi-purpose feed weekly, and loads of water - on average
mine get around four gallons of water a day. See if that perks it up.

If not, and you have the room and the energy, prepare a new bed, slice a
satellite off the crown and start again. The old bed will last a few
years as the new one gets established.

--
Rusty