Old 29-04-2010, 10:50 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Default clematis id continued

On this dratted system my clematis question has got entangled with the rhubarb, so I'm starting a new thread.

Kay wrote:

Some years ago I grew from seed something that was labelled Clematis
integrifolia. It clearly wasn't, since it galloped straight to the top
of a Sorbus. So I've been looking out for flowers, and this year I
spotted them at the top of the tree - white, dropping, with rounded
rather than pointed petals. In terms of flowering time, this is very
early - before C armandii, and before CC alpina is even showing buds. So
I assume C cirrhosa - but is there anything else it could be?

It's also not totally tender - it's come through this winter unscathed,
whereas I lost my 10 year old C armandii

Jeff wrote:

My armandii has just about finished flowering. The cirrhosa balearica
finished a month ago.

I assume that as you said yours could be cirrhosa it is evergreen. If that
isn't the case, it isn't cirrhosa.

No, I haven't ever taken any interest in cirrhosa, and hadn't realised it was evergreen. So what else flowers this early? - it is just about over now, ie it is finishing at the time I would expect armandii to start flowering. It was in flower at the same time as Cyclamen coum, and just before wood anemones, if that helps at all!