Old 29-04-2010, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Using Compost without Soil?

On 4/29/10 8:58 AM, Naga Jolokia wrote:
Hi all,

Is it alright to use compost straight without mixing it with soil or
other additives? I plan to fill up some raised beds with cheap compost
that I can get from a local recycle center.

Thanks.

A neighboring water district gives away compost free. It's derived from
sewage sludge. The water district gives the following guidelines for
usage:

When planting a tree or shrub or for a planter, use 1 part of compost to
2 parts native soil in the planting hole.

For new flower bed, vegetable beds, and lawns, spread 1-3 inches of
compost and work to a depth of 5-6 inches. That's about 1 part compost
to 6.25-7.0 parts native soil.

For existing beds and lawns, top with 1/2 inch of compost once a year.

Using my own compost (which is mostly leaf mold), I would use all
compost in a planter. But my own compost contains nothing from toilets,
garbage disposers, washing machines, etc; thus, it has fewer nutrients
than compost derived from sewage.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean