Old 30-04-2010, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L.[_2_] Dan L.[_2_] is offline

Default Using Compost without Soil?

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 4/29/10 8:58 AM, Naga Jolokia wrote:
Hi all,

Is it alright to use compost straight without mixing it with soil or
other additives? I plan to fill up some raised beds with cheap compost
that I can get from a local recycle center.

Thanks.

A neighboring water district gives away compost free. It's derived from
sewage sludge. The water district gives the following guidelines for
usage:

When planting a tree or shrub or for a planter, use 1 part of compost to
2 parts native soil in the planting hole.

For new flower bed, vegetable beds, and lawns, spread 1-3 inches of
compost and work to a depth of 5-6 inches. That's about 1 part compost
to 6.25-7.0 parts native soil.

For existing beds and lawns, top with 1/2 inch of compost once a year.

Using my own compost (which is mostly leaf mold), I would use all
compost in a planter. But my own compost contains nothing from toilets,
garbage disposers, washing machines, etc; thus, it has fewer nutrients
than compost derived from sewage.

My neighboring recycling center also gives away compost for free. The
compost is mostly grass clippings and leaves. IN THE PAST, I have used
the compost straight up with no problems and with great results. The
company test their compost on a regular basis, very good stuff, little
to no herbicides and pesticides found in it. Not as many people use that
space merchant stuff these days.

However, in the past most people set out the grass and leaves in large
paper bags which also composted well. Now days they use clear plastic
bags. So sometimes I see some plastic strips in with the compost. If I
find the plastic strips I remove them. So I am NOT SO SURE these days.

Compost - I just cannot get enough of it!

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.