Old 30-04-2010, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L.[_2_] Dan L.[_2_] is offline

Default Roots in Raised Bed

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Mike wrote:
I've been doing SFG in raised beds for a couple of years now, and
there is now an accumulation of left over roots in the beds from past
plantings. I imagine they compost at some time, but do they compost
quickly in the beds? Is it OK to leave the old roots in the beds or
are they going to hinder roots/plants of future plantings?

Thanks.

The old roots will be fine. They will break down, worms will eat them etc,
pull out any that are obvious before you replant but generally don't worry.

Who or what is SFG?

David

My guess is "Square Foot Gardening" seems to go with raised beds.

I have found too many roots causes the soil to be too light. Taller
heavier plants may fall over and uproot themselves (like tomatoes). Some
plants just love the lighter soil (like celery). Could add the lighter
soil to the compost pile and put in the older compost in the beds. This
may help in recharging (if thats the right word) the nutrients to the
lighter soil.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.