Old 30-04-2010, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tony Tony is offline

Default Spot re-seed grass - Wait how long to apply pre-emerge?

Frank wrote:
On 4/29/2010 4:52 PM, Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
I'm trying that new grass seed that Scott has, guaranteed to grow. It
seemed to work for the neighbor.
How long should I wait before I have pre-emerge applied to prevent
crabgrass?

May be too late. I put my premerge down around April 1 - Northern DE.
Rule of thumb, put it down before forsythias bloom.

Correct.

The Scotts stuff normally contains rye which comes up fast but better
seed in it lags behind.

Also true. Bluegrass is very slow to germinate (usually 21-25 days).
Almost any bluegrass seed mix has some perennial rye in it as a "nurse"
grass. You see green, you're happy. If the bluegrass takes well, it
eventually crowds out the rye. And there's nothing wrong with that,
it's as Jimmy Durante used to say, "the conditions that prevail".

Tony