Old 30-04-2010, 11:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
George[_14_] George[_14_] is offline

Default Using Compost without Soil?

"Naga Jolokia" wrote in message
Hi all,

Is it alright to use compost straight without mixing it with soil or other
additives?

yes, provided as other people have said it is from a food grade growing
source, it will work fine as a growing medium.

Whether it is the best thing to use. Well, what is the perfect soil anyhow.

If you make a raised lasanga garden you can pack it with partially composted
or even uncomposted material provided you have a few inchs of soil or fine
compost on top as a planting bed.

If that is what you have to use, use it. If you choose to mix some soil into
it, that'll work as well.

As a new gardener I fretted for some months as to whether the raised bed I
had filled with composted horse poop would be any good for growing.
Eventually in spring the crops came up and said to me 'relax son, we'll grow
ok here'.

Rob