Old 30-04-2010, 07:32 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
OK, will see what I can do when it stops raining.
Memory of leaves is that they're like montana or alpina - certainly deeply divided. Seed was from Chiltern, so I can't imagine that it'd be anything spectacular in Clematis terms. Packet said 'integrifolia' but it's already a good 15-20 feet up!
Well, I shouldn't go by memory.
I've been able to reach a new shoot, so this may be young leaves rather than mature. It's still too wet to go climbing.

The leaves are in clusters of about 6. Each leaf is simple, about 2cm x 1cm, broad lanceolate, serrated, rather thick, glossy green. Not in the least bit like alpina!

I was expecting it to be easy to identify, with it being in flower earlier than the other early flowering species! If it's not obvious, then I'll just have to try and get a better leaf sample, then wait till next year and make a real effort to get a close up of the flowers.