Old 30-04-2010, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Using Compost without Soil?

In article ,
Naga Jolokia wrote:

Hi all,

Many thanks for your answers, suggestions.

I am quite sure that the compost is derived from wood chips, grass
clippings, and leaves. It's not the sewer sludge type through.

Per your suggestions, I am going to mix it with some sand to improve
drainage. I will also try it straight to see if the result is different
or not. I can't use the native soil in my back yard since it's like
pure clay. You need a hammer to break it when it's dry. And when it's
wet, you can't even work on it.

Again, many many thanks for your insights, answers, and suggestions.

You can vastly improve that clay soil by growing rye and buckwheat on
it. Afterwards, include legumes or clover for nitrogen. Look for seed
mixes called "Green Manure".
--
- Billy