Old 30-04-2010, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Onion - is a perennial edible?

On 2010-04-29 18:12:18 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Dried seed-heads of many of the onion family make quite a decent show in
vase, and you don't have to do anything to them for several years. A
good
bunch of cereal picked and dried before it's quite ripe looks even
nicer.
I think I kept a couple of these, er, "arrangements" for maybe as long
as
twenty years until I moved house. I never found out a foolproof way of
dusting them, either, which was good.

LOL!
If you ever watched the programmes about Big Posh Mansions with delicate
expensive porcelain and stuff in you will find that they "dusted" them by
holding a vacuum cleaner with old tights or some such thing over the
nozzle
an appropriate distance away.
So it is possible to "dust" delicate things if you want to.

I have a Dyson so there would have to be a seriously strong sock on the
nozzle waved over it or the whole precious thing would be up its tube..

However, I'm with you. Never dust anything you have an excuse not to ;-)

Tina

A very soft paintbrush (un-used, of course) is perfect for fiddly china
and lampshades. I haven't tried dusting the garden!

And I will not be doing either. If my Dyson cannot dust it it doesn't get
dusted. I work 5/7 and don't want to spend those precious two days doing
anything else except attending to my chickens, doing a bit of gardening and
cooking, and listening to birdsong.
Tina