Old 30-04-2010, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Rhubarb Woes

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Noticed yesterday that the Rhubarb had 3 or 4 big squirly seed pod things on
.
Last year it did really well, but I didn't pick any stalks as it was its
first year.

Good

This year I noticed what-looked-like corn on the cob wraps appearing at the
base of some stems, but didn't recognise them as seed pods.
Within a couple of weeks the pods sprouted like triffids - very strange
looking!

Excellent for flower-arranging.

According to various sites, these should be removed, so I pulled up out the
stems that the pods were attached to.

Best to cut them.

My rhubarb now looks like a shadow of its former self .

Won't do it any harm in the long term.

Should I have started picking the rhubarb stalks earlier?

Always pick them while you can still snap them without fibres holding
the bits together if you're going to eat them. otherwise, it really
doesn't matter.

Would this have prevented the formation of the seed pods?

No. Probably needs more feeding. Lots of general purpose fertiliser and
even more water. Rhubarb is a marsh plant.

Will I still be able to harvest stalks for eating?

Yes.

If so, should I leave the plant to recover a bit?

I'd pull it sparigly this year. Always stop pulling when the
gooseberries are ripe.

--
Rusty