Old 01-05-2010, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L.[_2_] Dan L.[_2_] is offline

Default "Let It Rot"

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Dan,
what do you think of the book?

Still reading, However, much better than Rodales Book on composting!

I just got done mowing the lawn and added one cubic yard (3 acre lawn)
of grass clippings to the pile along with about one bale of straw with
chicken crap and two crocks of kitchen scraps. For the rest of summer
this will a weekly ritual. It took me all day to mow the yard, clean the
hen house and feed myself and the dog. I am tired. Good for the soul

I like page 34, Stubborn Materials. I have in the past put corn cobs,
Grapefruit rinds and husk in the compost to be still there. They will
compost in the very large hot compost pile. But very difficult to turn.
Someday I will get a farm tractor with a front loader or a BobCat (more
dream than reality).

I have put some woody materials in the compost pile and they break down
quickly. Some woody materials like rose bush clipping never break down!
Just like on page 34.

Composting like other aspects of gardening is a big learning curve for
me. Until I can afford a nice chipper/shredder I will burn or bury all
wood materials. Like California, Michigan now has state wide burn bans
during dryer months of summer.

I currently use open piles. I may construct several wire bins.
I wish I had "Let it Rot" long ago. I switched to burying woody
materials after reading "Gais Garden".

When I learn something new - I call it a good day - Today was a good day!

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.