Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default Perking Up A Rose Bush?

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ian B" wrote

since I've never had a garden of my own before and it's a rather
steep learning curve isn't it?

I appreciate that I look like an idiot, largely because I am one,
but I'm doing my best.

We all had to learn, some of us were fortunate to learn from good old
gardeners when we were children. Coming to it later in life without a
mentor is difficult but that is where we can help. Keep the questions
coming, it helps us to rethink why/how we do things.
I might add, one never ever finishes learning about gardening and
plants.

Thanks. I helped my dad a bit when I was a kid, but can't really remember
much. And I had a garden when I was with a (now ex) girlfriend for a year,
but it was basically her thing and I just dug things when she told me to dig
them, and mowed the lawn, kind of thing. To be honest I've always found the
degree of knowledge required rather intimidating, but it's also quite
exciting having so much to learn about a subject. I think I'd get a great
deal of satisfaction out of getting these poorly roses to bloom well, if
that's possible.

Strange thing is, or maybe not, there's one (I don't have a photo) that is
far "stronger" than the others and already a mass of new growth. I have no
idea why; maybe just a different variety, or maybe it was newer, or
something. But it's the one I posted the photo of that really appears to be
struggling.

Ian