Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George[_14_] George[_14_] is offline

Default Roots in Raised Bed

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article
,
Mike wrote:

Thanks for all comments.

SFG is Square Foot Gardening. I do pull most of the roots, but the
finer ones inevitably get left behind. Like I mentioned, I've only
been doing this for a couple of years so just looking for advice and
trying to learn from the folks here with the experience and
knowledge. I am trying to be "natural" by not using artificial
fertilizers or pesticides (compost instead), so thanks George for
introducing "Fukuoka Farming" - that's a new one to me and I'll check
it out.

The book you may want to peruse is "The One-straw revolution" by
Masanobu Fukuoka. If inclined check out Wendell Berry who wrote the
preface. Not so much a how to but a why for kind of book. Leading to
more why for and how to adventures.

in my vege garden fukuoka translates to leaving weeds (not yet at seed
stage) and crop detritus in the garden beds. No wholesale clearing away to a
compost bin. It may be move to another garden as mulch but will stay in the
vege garden system itself. Somethings, like tomatos, I do move to another
part of the section every year but that is simply due to the possibility of
disease. I mulch the gardens through the year with grass, leaves, spent crop
residue etc.
Not fully fukuoka but I have lifted some of his techniques. Why move it if
it breaks down in situ.

rob