Old 01-05-2010, 02:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Jade plant help

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:19:14 -0400, beauticollision
wrote:

I have two Jade plants on both the leaves have started becoming
yellow/red

on one of the plants the leaves are no longer stiff and strong, but a
little wrinkly and and feel soft. this is on most leaves

on the other plant again some yellow and red leaves, but i new leaves
growing are an odd shape - they look like the clubs picture in a packet
of cards.

both plants are next to each other on my window sill. they get a lot of
light, but not directly as i have a net curtain between the window and
the plants.

I rarely water it..but i cant be sure if anyone else in my house hold
has been watering it.

any advice?

A Jade plant is unlikely to die without water. But, if watered twice
a week or more, it may quickly turn to mush and die. Empty the saucer
within one hour of watering. One, and only one person should water
any given plant. During the winter I water the jade plant once a
month or hold off water until I can see one leaf beginning to wither.
Other times the Jade plant gets watered twice a month, perhaps a
little more than a cactus plant.

If your Jade plant has red leaf edges, it is telling you it is getting
enough light. I suspect yellowing of the leaves may mean too little
light or burning from fertilizer (or other chemical). The jade plant
is an "easy care" plant--too frequent overwatering is its biggest
threat. Tu