Old 01-05-2010, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Moving a clematis report

A month or so ago I asked about moving a clematis cirrhosa which was
growing on a fence which had to be replaced. It was in a pot but had
rooted through into the gravelly earth below.
On Sunday I dug it up, not getting all the roots but a good clump.
Some of you had suggested breaking the pot and planting the whole root
ball. What I've actually done is to dig a hole and sink the pot about
two-thirds of its depth into the soil. I have tied it in to the
trellis on top of the new fence.
Not the best maybe but it would have been difficult for me to dig a
big enough hole to put the whole root in.
So far it looks OK, rather a tanled mess but not droopy or
sad-looking. If it dies back I'll have to cut hard back and hope for
new growth but I think it's OK.
Thanks to all who gave advice.

Pam in Bristol