Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Horses and muddy field

On 2 May, 09:32, "Muddy Horse" wrote:
Hello -

I've got a problem with the soil outside a stable getting eroded by the
horses.
Originally the concrete ramp in the pictures below was level with the field,
but 15 years of horses walking through mud has create a large muddy hole
(about 3 metres square). It's difficult for the horses to get in and out of
the stable. So far, we have the following ideas:

1) Fill the hole in with compacted soil. Presumably this would have to be
repeated every few years.
2) Extend the concrete ramp with more concrete. This might be hard work if
DIYed, and expensive if done professionally. Any ideas on how the ramp
should be constructed?
3) Filling the hole with gravel or similar is not acceptable, because it
would injure the horses' feet.
4) Constructing a ramp from wooden sleepers might work, but slipperiness
would be a problem.

Any comments on these ideas, or better ones?

http://i39.tinypic.com/15cyj6d.jpght...om/34jf6df.jpg

Thanks

I should think that your problems are not helped by water from rain,
washing down etc running down the slope to add to the muddy patch.
I would get a load of Scalpings or such like and building the surface
up with that then possibly using a Ground Stabilisation fabric
see http://www.lbsbuyersguide.co.uk/nett...forcement.html

David Hill