Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Me Here Me Here is offline

Default Horses and muddy field

"Muddy Horse" wrote in message
Hello -

I've got a problem with the soil outside a stable getting eroded by the
horses.
Originally the concrete ramp in the pictures below was level with the
field,
but 15 years of horses walking through mud has create a large muddy hole
(about 3 metres square). It's difficult for the horses to get in and out
of
the stable. So far, we have the following ideas:

1) Fill the hole in with compacted soil. Presumably this would have to be
repeated every few years.
2) Extend the concrete ramp with more concrete. This might be hard work if
DIYed, and expensive if done professionally. Any ideas on how the ramp
should be constructed?
3) Filling the hole with gravel or similar is not acceptable, because it
would injure the horses' feet.
4) Constructing a ramp from wooden sleepers might work, but slipperiness
would be a problem.

Any comments on these ideas, or better ones?

http://i39.tinypic.com/15cyj6d.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2nrq4xh.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/34jf6df.jpg

http://www.grassform.co.uk/geogrid.htm