Old 03-05-2010, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tony Tony is offline

Default Walnut in a hedgerow ?

angel_orto wrote:
I am planning a country hedgerow with native trees and shrubs mainl
spiny as blackthorn,hawthorn,also hazel,field maple,wild privet,do
rose... and wild fruits mainly prunus.

There is a walnut tree (J.regia) growing on this line , I am afraid tha
the walnut will badly affect the other hedge plants ,what do you thin
?

thanks

--
angel_orto

It very well could affect some of them. Black Walnut roots seep juglone
into the soil, and while it's best known for being very toxic to
tomatoes and white birch, there are many other plants, trees and shrubs
it affects. Try a Google search on "plants affected by black walnut" as
an example. I believe the Wiki article on Black Walnut also gives a
list, though it is probably not exhaustive.

Tony