Old 03-05-2010, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Whats with onion sets.

None4U wrote:
Hi . Anyone care to explain how to grow onions from year to year. I'm not
understanding how making onion sets gets you anywhere. You either let then
grow and eat them or plant them late and make sets for next year. How do you
get onions to reproduce. Without buying them over and over. They don't
seed do they?

The onion sets are a convenience item, much like buying bedding plants.

I think a problem with growing from seeds is differentiating the young
onion plants from weeds, setting out a set eases the weeding, or at
least the attempt at it.

Also, since onions are biennial, if you didn't plant last year you
will have no big onions this year.

At least that's what I read when I put in my onions. I have no
experience with them (or much else for that matter!). I have this
feeling that there is a lot to growing onions. This from our "friends"
at Garden Web:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...061413183.html

Jeff